Florida's Wood Rot Repair Specialists
Get Specialist Wood Rot Repair Solutions from Above All Leveling in Florida!
Wood Rot Repair Issues?
Let us fix the problem and safeguard your home.Get Help
At Above All Leveling we are experienced in wood rot repairs and have experts who can identify wood rot in your home. Call us now for wood rot inspections for your home or business.
Every property that has wood will eventually experience dry rot issues mainly with the exterior wood members, like decks, fascia boards, trims, and siding.
Throughout the wilds of nature, wood rot is an important part of the decomposition process. It turns fallen logs into nutrient rich soil. However, there are few things in this world that send homeowners or potential homeowners into a tizzy faster than finding it in their home or prospective home.
Wood rot can lead to structural problems that could spell disaster for your most important investment. These include but are not limited to deteriorating support posts and or beams, wood rot in wood floor decking, floor and ceiling joists, and damaged roof decking. It can cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair the rotted wood.
Wood is possibly the most common building material in use today. Therefore it is eminently important to know what causes wood rot and how to prevent it, and to know what to do if you find it in your home, as wood rot is most often very hard to find as it can be hidden from view under flooring, behind wallboard, or siding.
Dry rot is a menace and tends to develop in door and window frames, shutters, places where wood siding meets masonry, and other non-weight bearing surfaces. It is caused by uncontrollable weather conditions or leakages in your plumbing and roof, along with other reasons.
If you’re getting your home ready for an inspection or are remodeling your home, it’s important to work with wood repair specialists. There’s no one better in Florida than Above All Leveling, and we provide free in-home estimates after an initial inspection to provide the best solutions for problems with rotten wood. Whether it is the early stages of dry rot or an extensive rot problem, we can handle it all.
Call Above All Leveling Now for Excellent Wood Rot Repair!
Do I Need Wood Rot Repair?
For those who’re unfamiliar with it, wood rot is characterized by moldy or dead wood that has been damaged by high humidity and water or has been attached by insects. The main causes of rotten wood in the home are insects, mildew, mold, and leaks, and the best solution is to have it repaired completely, rather than patching up the problem.
What Causes Wood Rot?
Wood rot is a form of decay triggered by the combination of moisture and fungi. Ideally, for fungi to take up residence, the wood has to be constantly damp. Fungi cannot and will not grow on dry wood. There are almost 5 million different types of fungi that exist all around us. They are in the air, the soil and sadly there is no escaping them for they are everywhere. Some types of fungi, like yeast and mushrooms, are beneficial and edible, while others can be quite destructive, and let’s face it disgusting. The types that trigger wood rot are loosely classified by the general effects they have on wood.
- Brown Rot: This type of rot is, more often than not, called “dry rot”. This is because the wood often appears dry. Brown-rot fungi targets cellulose(the chief constituent of the cell walls of plants and of wood) in the wood’s structure. As the cell walls are destroyed, the wood contracts, turns brown in color, and breaks into small cube-shaped chunks. Brown rot grows best at temps between 65 and 90 degrees F, and once it begins growing, it tends to spread very rapidly.
- White Rot: Wood that takes on a white or light yellowish color and feels spongy, probably has white rot. As you know, brown rot affects cellulose. White-rot fungi breaks down lignin (a complex organic polymer deposited in the cell walls of many plants, making them rigid and woody), leaving the light-colored cellulose behind. Like brown rot, white rot grows in temps between 65 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soft Rot: Soft-rot fungi decomposes wood more slowly than the other two types of fungi, but thrives in temperatures too hot and too cold for the other types to survive. It grows in temps between 0 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Soft-rot fungi breaks down the cellulose, leaving the wood with a hollow honeycomb-like appearance. It is usually found in downed trees, not commonly in houses, however it can strike a home if the conditions are favorable.
Sometimes very minor repairs can be done by thoroughly cleaning an area and using epoxy, epoxy fillers or other fillers. Some of the most widely used fillers include the use of epoxy and or an epoxy consolidant. However, simply filling a void with epoxy is definitely not the most structurally sound way to repair rotten wood. Epoxy does have its uses in finishing details on a project. You just cannot consider epoxy or epoxy fillers a structural repair method.
So we conclude that simply repainting the wood after using epoxy, epoxy fillers or any kind of filler for that matter, isn’t necessarily going to fix the issue. This is because the high-quality structural wood rot repair solutions include having the wood replaced by a qualified professional.
For a durable repair call the experts at Above All Leveling
Most of the time prolonged exposure to moisture can cause fungus to start growing on the wood, and that may cause it to deteriorate. Fungus that has been allowed to fester means rotting wood ultimately becomes inevitable. This is especially true in the ever-changing climate of Florida, without proper maintenance.
We Stop and Repair Wood Rot from Devaluing Your Home
Even though rotting wood is an unpleasant surprise for more homeowners, since they don’t tend to notice it when the wood starts rotting initially. However, once you do notice the rot, you should act fast to get it repaired or replaced immediately, as ignoring it is dangerous. That’s because in wood the rot spreads and if left untreated, it will weaken the structure of your home. A bad case of rotten wood can also cause the value of your home to drop significantly, which is why it’s important to get in touch with professionals quickly when you notice rot in your home.
Where to Inspect for Wood Rot?
It’s not that difficult to identify rot as it is very visible once it starts spreading. Some of the places you should be inspecting your wood for rot are:
- Exterior door thresholds and window sills
- Exterior door casings and windows
- Underside of the roof decking
- Roof framing
- Fascia and rake boards
- Crawlspace under the porch
How and When Should I Look for Signs of Wood Rot?
You should make it a priority to check your home for signs of wood rot annually, and the perfect time to do this is during your pre-winter weatherproofing tasks or while spring cleaning. You’ll need a long-handle screwdriver and a good flashlight.
- Inspect wood siding around and beneath windows. You should look for signs of swelling or discoloration. Note: paint can hide wood rot, so poke the siding with the tip of the screwdriver. The wood should be solid and firm. So, if the screwdriver sinks into the wood, you’ve got a definite wood rot problem.
- Using a bright flashlight, check the attic looking for discolored wood. If any is found, perform the screwdriver test. Prime spots in the attic for wood rot are on the underside of the roof decking, in the joints where the wood members connect, and at the edges of the attic where the rafters slope down to form the eaves.
- Examine walls and floors underneath sinks, around tubs and showers, and around the water heater. If you find moisture or mold growing, the wood floor plates behind the wall are at risk of wood rot. The only sure way to find out is to remove a section of the wallboard and check the wood behind.
Can I Treat or Repair Rotted Wood?
Softwood damaged by wood rot is not salvageable and should be replaced as soon as possible to keep the rot from spreading. That’s when you call Above All Leveling for all of your Wood Rot Repair needs.
At Above All Leveling we are experienced in these repairs and have experts who can identify additional damage in your home. Call us now for an inspections for your home or business.
Wood Rot Repair at the Source
There are various factors that may cause this type of deterioration in the roof of your home, and it’s important to identify and understand these problems, so that wood rot repairs are made quickly. Here are some of the main sources of wood rot on your roof:
Damaged Roofing Materials
This damage is mainly caused by water and there’s no better way for water to get into the roof than through torn, missing, or cracked shingles. It’s important to address roof leaks quickly and get roof repairs done properly so that there’s no risk of a roof leak that may end up causing your wood to become rotten.
The roof of your home is more than just a barrier against the elements, as its also a ventilation system for your house. A properly vented roof is going to expel water vapor inside the home and is crucial to keeping moisture content safe for building materials.
Misaligned or Clogged Gutters
If the gutters of your home are clogged or misaligned a lot of water can enter your house and seep into the ground around the foundation, and cause settling. Settling leads to foundation repair. Therefore, it’s important to install gutters and be sure to maintain and clean those gutters to ensure that rainwater drains nowhere near your home.
Preventative measures can be taken to arrest the development of wood rot and keep it from getting a foothold in your home. These measures include the use of caulk in the cracks around windows and door frames and where wood siding meets masonry. These actions can help mitigate the need for wood rot repair later.
Nevertheless, once rot gets a foothold it becomes increasingly more difficulty to remove it, but rest assured if you call Above All Leveling we will take care of the problem with a quality wood rot repair
Quality Wood Rot Repair Services for Your Home
Above All Leveling protects the value and aesthetics of your home by providing you with the highest quality of wood repair and replacement services. You’ll notice wood damage that requires repairs when you’re painting the exterior of your home.
That’s where you’ll require the services of professional wood rot repair experts, who have expertise in handling rotting wood. We have a team of experts that have years of experience in repairing rotten wood that allows them to quickly and effectively protect your home from widespread damage. All projects are handled with premium care, so that all traces of damage are eliminated, and the surrounding wood is preserved.
Even if you’ve maintained your home well, after years of exposure to the elements and debris the exterior of your home may start developing splintered or rotten wood in some places. Above All Leveling is well equipped to expertly handle all areas of wood damage or rot anywhere on the exterior of your house. We are repair specialists and provide you with the most efficient and cost-effective solutions and prevent further damage to your home. We can easily repair rotten wood and in some cases when the damage is extensive, can also replace rotten wood for the best results.
In Florida, very few homes have a basement, however many are on a system that has floor joists so their home is basically on top of a basement that is open to the environment. Floor joists and even the decking in the surrounding area are prone to rotten wood in these setups. If you begin to see gaps in the flooring, a general weakness to the wood surface, or even rot in your external door frames, make sure to get it checked right away.
Why Choose Us?
As an industry leader in replacement and repair of rotten wood in Florida, Above All Leveling has great experience and expertise in providing quality services to homeowners. We never compromise on our quality and known for the perfection and quality of our excellent work. What sets us apart from the rest is our desire to transform your rotten wooden pieces into masterpieces all at an affordable price range. Here’s why you should choose us for your important repairs:
- Guaranteed customer satisfaction in all aspects of our work
- Our mission is to provide our customers with the most effective solutions
- We take pride in our work and are meticulous in our approach to ensure a proper job is done